11 February 2011

BBC News - Are work suits on the way out?

Men from 1926 and a more informally dressed group of workers
Image from bbc.co.uk

I blogged on the Include Solutions pages about teachers dressing smartly compared to casual to ask the question of what gets more respect from the students.

This BBC article looks at business and the decline of the suit. I for one always try to look smarter on a Friday. As opposed to dress down Friday, I go for super Super Smart Friday. Friday is a tough day. It's the end of the week. Motivation to work hard is low. But the students still need teaching and need to learn. By dressing smartly, I'm setting myself up to feel more professional, to feel better about myself and convey a message to the students that, even on a Friday, I still care.

This week, a student commented on my suit. It doesn't matter what they said, what matters is that they noticed. Students notice the way their teachers dress. Anecdotally, I can say that students prefer to see smartly dressed teachers than casually dressed ones. There's no research to back this up, but suffice to say, that's what students have told me.

So, here I am on a Friday, wearing a suit, shirt, tie and tank top finished off with a pair of shiny dress shoes at a time when the business world seems to have changed.

Click here for the full article.


No comments:

Post a Comment