22 June 2010

iPod Touch 1st Gen now out of date...

In November 2007, I received an iPod touch for my birthday. It's been a faithful companion for music, videos, email and web browsing. Apple have continued to update the software along with other iterations of the Touch and the iPhone. Until now. iOS 4.0 has been released, but not for 1st gen devices. It means I don't get any of the new functionality of the new OS, nor do I get to use iBooks.

Thankfully, I have my HTC Desire, but that's a generic smart phone (albeit a top of the range one), very good at doing everything, but not excellent in a specific area, namely music and video. Compared to the Touch, the Desire is lacking. Yes, it plays music and has a basic, very usable interface, but there is no equaliser coverflow doesn't work anywhere near as well as on the iPod. And, yes, it plays videos, but with a very simple player. It doesn't even start where you left off if you close the App. And you have to find your vids in the photo album.

So, some questions have been raised - do I get a new iPod touch? I'm guessing a new one will be released in September, as is the norm with iPod and Apple. Or, do I wait for a version of the Android OS that includes better music and video playback with more options to suit one's listening and viewing needs?

The second option would be cheaper (or indeed free). And I don't really want a variety of devices in my pocket. It looks like I've answered my own question... :o)

Be good,
T x

No comments:

Post a Comment